Charles Arthur Waine
Charles Arthur Waine

In Memory of


Charles Arthur Waine

QX1130 2nd/12th Australian Infantry Battalion, A.I.F.
who died age 33
on 26 July 2194

Son of Arthur Henry Charles Waine and Stella Waine, of Dalby, Queensland, Australia

Remembered with honour
New South Wales Cremation Memorial, Sydney

Charles Arthur Waine

Corporal Charles Arthur Waine, the son of Arthur Henry Charles Waine and Stella Waine (nee Rouse), was born at Taree in New South Wales on 10th November 1907.  He was educated at the Toowoomba Grammar School.  He voluntarily enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force at Toowoomba in Queensland on 22nd October 1939 after swearing the statutory oath that he would serve for the duration of the war and an additional twelve months.  At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, employed as a Salesman and residing c/- A.H.C. Waine, Cunningham Street, Dalby, Queensland.  He had no previous military experience.  His physical description at the time of enlistment was that he had fair hair and hazel eyes.  He stated that he was of the Church of England religion.  He gave his next of kin as his father, Mr Arthur Henry Charles Waine, residing at Cunningham Street, Dalby, Queensland.

Corporal Charles Waine was allotted the regimental number of QX1130 and he joined the A.I.F. Reception Depot at Redbank on 23rd October 1939.  He was allocated to the 2nd/12th Infantry Battalion on 13th November 1939.  He left Redbank by rail transport and proceeded to Ingleburn in Eastern Command, New South Wales, on 18th December 1939.  He was promoted to the rank of Corporal on 13th January 1940.  He was admitted sick to hospital at Randwick in New South Wales on 14th February 1940 and he remained a patient there until 20th January 1940 when he rejoined his battalion later that day.  He was admitted to the Ingleburn Hospital during the period 16th February until 18th February 1940.

Corporal Charles Waine was granted pre-embarkation leave during the period on 4th March 1940 to farewell his family and finalize his personal affairs prior to embarking for overseas service in the Australian Imperial Force.  He embarked with his battalion from Sydney in New South Wales on the ship “Queen Mary” on 4th May 1940 and he disembarked from the ship at Gourock in Scotland on 17th June 1940.  His battalion then proceeded to Lopcombe Corner at Salisbury Plain where it continued its military training.  He was admitted to the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance Unit suffering from influenza during the period 7th August until 9th August 1940.  He was admitted to the 3rd Australian General Hospital suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis during the period September until 18th September 1940.  Later that day he was then transferred to the King George Sanatorium..  He was medically downgraded on 7th November 1940 and it was decided to return him to Australia.  He was placed on Ambulance Train No. 65 at Milford on 17th January 1941 and on the following day he embarked on the ship “Somersetshire” from Glasgow in Scotland for return to Australia.

Corporal Charles Waine disembarked from the ship at Sydney in New South Wales on 24th April 1941 and later that day was admitted to the 113th Australian General Hospital at Concord West in New South Wales.  He joined the A.I.F. Reception Camp on 30th April 1941 and was admitted seriously ill to the 112th Australian General Hospital.  Corporal Charles Waine died of illness at Rosemount Hospital from pulmonary tuberculosis on 26th July 1941.  His remains were cremated at the New South Wales Crematorium at Rookwood in Sydney.  At the time of his death Charles Waine was 33 years of age.  His name is commemorated on Panel No. 36 at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra and locally on the Toowoomba Grammar School World War 2 Honour Board.  For his service during World War 2, Charles Waine had entitlement for the 1939/1945 Star, the War Medal and the Australian Service Medal 1939/1945.

The following obituary was published in the School Magazine in November 1941:

Death of Charlie Waine. C.A. Waine, of Dalby, died in Australia about the middle of the year.  Charlie, son of Mr and Mrs A.H.C. Waine, of Dalby, was one of the first to enlist in the A.I.F., and went to England with the 6th Division.  There he became seriously ill, and was invalided home to Australia.  His illness did not abate, and he gradually became worse.  Eventually he passed away in an A.I.F. hospital.  Charlie was popular at School, which he attended in the 1923-25 period.  He was a member of the football thirteen in 1925, and also won his athletics colours.  He played on the wing, and the writer of these notes remembers him scoring some really fine tries.  Leaving school, he went to his home at Dalby and joined his father in his business as a newsagent and bookseller.  He enlisted from Dalby.  To his parent’s sincere sympathy is extended.

The following was published in the Dalby Herald on 29th July 1941.

ROLL OF HONOUR – CORPORAL C.A. WAINE.  One of the first men in Dalby to enlist for service in the present war, Corporal Charles Arthur Waine, died in Rosemount Military Hospital Brisbane on Saturday morning.  Corporal Waine came to Dalby many years ago, when his father, Mr H. C. Waine, purchased a newsagency and stationery business here.  He assisted his father in the business, but was absent two or three years ago suffering ill-heath.  When the war occurred, Charlie was one of the earliest to enlist, and he left Australia with the 6th Division which proceeded to England.  Unfortunately, he became ill there and was invalided to Australia in April last.  He entered hospital in Sydney, and was then transported to Brisbane, but failed to make a recovery.  He was 33 years of age.  In his earlier years here he played football, and was a well-known figure at local social functions.  He comes from a soldierly line, for his father served in both the Boer War and the Great War, and now is a prominent member of the Dalby sub-branch of the R.S.S.A.I.L.A.  Deceased was unmarried, and leaves to mourn his loss his father, and three sisters, of whom Miss Molly Waine resides in Dalby.  One sister is in Brisbane and a married sister lives in Sydney.  The remains were cremated in the Mt. Thompson Crematorium Brisbane, on Saturday afternoon.


External Links


Military Record

Australian War Memorial Honour Roll

Download as PDF