Clive Robert Greenup
Clive Robert Greenup

In Memory of


Clive Robert Greenup

QX923 2nd/10th Field Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery
who died age 32
on 12 March 1943

Son of Edward Richard Greenup and Norma Greenup, of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Remembered with honour
Labuan Memorial, Malaysia

Clive Robert Greenup

Gunner Clive Robert Greenup, the son of Edwin Richard Greenup and Norma Caroline Matilda Greenup (nee Van Homrigh) was born at Brisbane in Queensland on 3rd September 1911.  He was educated at the Toowoomba Grammar School.  At the age of 28 years and 8 months he voluntarily enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force at Kelvin Grove in Brisbane on 18th June 1940 after swearing the statutory oath that he would serve for the duration of the war and an additional twelve months.  He was allotted the regimental number of QX923.  At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, employed as a Pastoral Inspector.  His physical description was that he had brown hair and brown eyes.  He gave his next of kin as his father, Mr Edwin Richard Greenup, residing at 364 Old Cleveland Road, Coorparoo, Brisbane.  He stated that he was of the Church of England religion.

Gunner Clive Greenup joined the Reception Depot at Enoggera on 25th May 1940 and on the following day he was promoted to the rank of Acting Corporal.  He was transferred to the 2nd/10th Field Regiment at Redbank camp on 22nd August 1940 and promoted to the rank of Gunner.  He was granted pre-embarkation leave during the period 13th January until 19th January 1941 to farewell his family and finalize his personal affairs prior to being deployed overseas for service with the Australian Imperial Force.  On 1st February 1941, the 2nd/10th Field Regiment left Redbank and entrained from South Brisbane Railway Station bound for Sydney.  On arrival at Sydney the following day, the Regiment boarded His Majesty’s Transport “Queen Mary” for overseas service in South East Asia.  He disembarked from the “Queen Mary” at Singapore on 18th February 1941.

Gunner Clive Greenup was appointed Specialist Anti-Tank Class 2 on 24th May 1941.  He was granted Singapore leave during the period 9th October until 12th October 1941.  He relinquished his specialist classification and was appointed Specialist Anti-Tank Gunner (Surveyor) Class 3 on 25th October 1941.  He was granted special leave during the period 20th November until 23rd November 1941.  He was admitted to the 2nd/9th Field Ambulance Unit suffering from malaria on 24th November 1941 and on the following day he was transferred to the 13th Australian General Hospital.  He remained a patient at the hospital until 11th December 1941 when he was transferred to No. 2 Convalescent Depot.  Upon recovering from his illness he joined the General Base Depot on 8th January 1942.  He rejoined the 2nd/10th Field Regiment on 16th January 1942.  He was appointed Anti-Tank Gunner Grade 1 (Computer) on 22nd January 1942.  Gunner Clive Greenup became a prisoner of war of the Japanese when the Allied forces at Singapore surrendered on 15th February 1942.  Whilst interned at Changi he was admitted to the Australian General Hospital suffering from malaria on 17th February 1942 and rejoined his unit on 25th February 1942.

Gunner Clive Greenup was sent to Borneo as a member of “B” Force on 8th July 1942.  Whilst a prisoner in captivity at Sandakan No. 1 Camp in Borneo he died of pulmonary tuberculosis on 12th March 1943 and was buried in the Sandakan No. 1 Camp Cemetery.  The Department of Army was advised by cable from the International Red Cross in Geneva that he had died of illness.  At the time of his death Clive Greenup was 32 years of age.  He was buried near the prisoner of war camp, however the crosses and grave markers of prisoners who were buried there became displaced and the War Graves Unit was unable to positively identify his remains.  The bodies of the unidentified men exhumed from the cemetery were laid to rest in the Labuan War Cemetery as “Unidentified Australian Soldiers”.  Gunner Clive Greenup’s name is commemorated on Panel No.16 at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

Australian War Memorial photograph 005455
Queensland members of the 2nd/10th Field Regiment on the ferry wharf after detraining. From here they will be ferried to their assigned ship which is waiting to transport them to Malaya.


Toowoomba Grammar School archive records show that he enrolled as a student on 1st July 1927 and that he left the School on 8th December 1928.


External Links

Australian War Memorial

Military Records

Commonwealth War Games Commission

Download as PDF